General bird information, facts and guides:
- Wikipedia – Birds Portal : links to lots of Wikipedia articles.
- ARKive : descriptions, images and videos of birds and other animals.
- Birds.com : species informations, birding guides and more.
- The Internet Bird Collection : videos, photos and sound recording.
- National Geographic – Birds : bird-related content from National Geographic.
- Audubon : bird-related news, events, and species identification guide.
- 10,000 Birds : birding, nature, conservation and the wide, wide world.
- eBird : find sightings of particular bird species or submit a sighting. Great if your theriotype is rare and you’re trying to track them in the wild.
- Birdata : information on Australian birds.
- WhatBird : search North American birds by a vast array of characteristics. Excellent for trying to figure out what bird you saw, or narrow down your theriotype based on a handful of characteristics (ie size, beak shape, color, body type, etc).
- British Bird Lovers : garden birds and bird watching in the UK.
- Wing & Tail Image Collection: the Slater Museum of Natural History’s wings collection, good to figure out one’s wing shape.
- Flightless birds : Wikipedia article on birds lacking the ability to fly.
- Corvidae : corvid species @Wikipedia.
- Ravens vs Crows, they’re different : some of the physical differences between a raven and a crow (Raven Diaries @YouTube).
- Raven with bald eagle : common raven pestering bald eagle and stealing food (@YouTube).
- Raven intelligence test – Clever Critters : common ravens and one intelligence test (BBC Animals @YouTube).
- Crow uses sequence of three tools : intelligence test with a crow (NewScientist @YouTube).
- Jungle Crow and Wolf : a jungle crow picking at a wolf’s fur (possibly to gather nesting materials) @YouTube.
- Corvids, an indentification comparison table : a pretty good Australian corvid comparison chart in pdf.
- Australian Raven talk : some vocalizations from an australian raven (@YouTube).
- Lyrebird : lyrebird species @Wikipedia.
- Attenborough: the amazing Lyre Bird sings like a chainsaw : the amazing Lyre Bird’s sounds (BBC Earth @YouTube).
- Penguin World : an index of types of penguins.
Raptors (split this later if it gets too big)
- Birds of prey : @Wikipedia.
- Goshawk Flies Through Tiny Spaces in Slo-Mo : a test of the goshawk’s flying abilities (BBC @YouTube).
- Eagle owl in flight on high speed camera : a slow-motion video showing the flight pattern of an eagle owl (@YouTube).
- Great Horned Owl and Barn Owl in slow motion : another slow-motion video showing the flying abilities of these birds (@YouTube).
- Bald Eagle in slow motion : a HD video (720p) of a bald eagle in flight (@YouTube).
- Sparrow : sparrow species @Wikipedia.
- Sparrows approaching a birdhouse in slow motion : a HD video (1080p) of house sparrows flying and landing (@YouTube).
- Sparrow landing in UltraSlo motion : amazing super-slow video of a sparrow landing and taking off (@YouTube).
- Starling : starling species @Wikipedia.
- Starling murmuration : a HD video (1080p) of the incredible display of flight made by groups of thousands of birds at one time (@YouTube).
- The Startling Science of a Starling Murmuration : how do starlings move in those amazing displays? (@Wired)
Swans and geese
- Swan : swan species @Wikipedia.
- Swan Identification Guide : from the Trumpeter Swan Society. A guide in HTML and PDF to telling apart different swan species.
- Goose Hugs : a description of a cross-species affection behavior.
- LoveCanadaGeese.com : many stories and descriptions of the relationships between geese and swans, and the people who feed them.